Friday, December 12, 2008

missoni home. and a rant-a-thon...

finally my missoni home cushions arrived. missoni, the italian fashion house known for their knits with kaleidoscopic patterns no-one quite compares to, have such a signature style and eye for color schemes that just browsing through their fabric samples leaves one short of breath. if you wanna do stripe, there's no better way than missoni.

my cushions are from their balbianello line of fresh satin cottons. lovely.



***
and then on to the rant.

one reason i order online is because many items are not available in finland, and even if they were, getting the exact product may be difficult due to various reasons such as the retailer being unwilling or unable to order something because they're a small distributor. another reason is that i like the convenience of it. provided everything goes right, that is...

this time the finnish post together with the courier had me infuriated. i waited for my parcel at home only to find out in the tracking system that "consignee was not in" when delivery was attempted. after calling the courier i was informed that codes at doors and gates -- which are standard everywhere midtown helsinki -- would prevent delivery although i did inform the courier that there would be codes. it said that right on top of the parcel. since my own post office was responsible for the delivery at this point, this sounded like a pretty lame excuse: they deliver the rest of my mail just fine and dandy.

well, supposedly they attempted delivery twice. there was no note informing me of the whereabouts of my parcel or the attempts. only after calling did i find out i would have to fetch the parcel from my local post office.

so it seems the finnish post offers a service they cannot live up to. since there are codes at every door in my neighborhood, this must mean that the finnish post does not do home deliveries in my area. naturally, i informed my retailer in the uk and demanded a refund on my postage: if i wanted to stand in line at xmas time at my post office, i surely was not going to pay them 30 quid for it.

No comments: